- 1 eggplant (1¼ to 1¾ pounds)
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1½ lb. tomatoes, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 1½ tsp. each allspice and cumin
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup currants
- 3 tbsp. each chopped fresh mint and cilantro
- salt, pepper to taste
- Cut unpeeled eggplant into ¾-inch cubes.
- Place in strainer and sprinkle with salt.
- Drain about 30 minutes.
- Heat ¼-cup of oil in pan and sauté onions about 5–10 minutes, until golden.
- Add tomatoes and spices, cooking until tomatoes and onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and currants, stir and transfer to bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to pan and cook eggplant about 30–40 minutes until tender.
- Add to tomato mixture.
- Add mint and cilantro and combine well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and chill.
- Best if made a day in advance.
Note: After vegetables are cut up or cooked they lose their vitamin content. If this is made a day in advance it will be no better than tinned vegetables.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.