Prep Time:40 minutes
Total Time:1 hour
This recipe includes ripe strawberries, tender, sweet buttermilk biscuits made with a blend of cake flour and whole-wheat flour and lightened by substituting reduced-fat cream cheese for some of the butter in the recipe. As a tangy alternative to whipped cream, this recipe uses a unique blend of reduced-fat sour cream and cream.
- 2 cups cake flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour, or whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 4 tbsp. cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 tbsp. (2 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese,
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp. nonfat buttermilk,
- 4 cups sliced hulled strawberries, (about 1 1/4 pounds whole)
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
For the shortcakes:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Whisk cake flour, whole-wheat flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter using two knives or a pastry cutter until the pieces are about the size of peas. Cut in cream cheese until it’s the size of peas.
- Drizzle oil over the mixture; stir with a fork until just combined (the mixture will be crumbly).
- Make a well in the center and add egg and buttermilk.
- Gradually stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with a fork until the mixture is evenly moist.
- Knead the mixture in the bowl two or three times until it holds together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Dust with flour and roll into an 8-by-10-inch rectangle about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut the edges square using a butter knife.
- Cut the dough into 12 equal shortcakes.
- Transfer to a baking sheet.
- Bake the shortcakes until puffed and lightly golden, about 20 minutes, and Let cool slightly.
- Toss strawberries with sugar in a medium bowl.
- Whisk whipping cream in a medium bowl until it’s thick and holds its shape, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Whisk in sour cream until combined.
- To serve, split the shortcakes horizontally.
- Spoon the berries and juice onto the bottoms, top with the cream mixture and replace the shortcake tops.