Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Simple, tasty and satisfying! This dish can be on the table in half an hour and can easily be doubled or tripled to feed a crowd. Serve with your favorite chips and other side dishes...and a good frosty beer comes highly recommended.
- 16 oz. turkey sausages (plain, sweet or hot)
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp. minced fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Sub rolls, split and warmed
Brown the sausages in a skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken stock and cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
Remove the sausage to a plate. Pour off all but 1 - 2 tbsp. of liquid in the pan. Add the olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until softened, about 6 - 7 minutes. Add the sliced bell peppers, oregano, salt and pepper.
Cook until the peppers are softened, about 5 minutes. Return the sausages to the pan and cook for another 3 minutes. Stir in the balsamic vinegar, if using.
Adjust the seasonings and spoon the mixture into warmed sub rolls. Gently press the sandwiches together and serve warm.