- 3 cups cooked rice
- 4 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup demerara sugar  (or brown sugar)
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- 2 apples, finely chopped
- 1 pound cottage cheese
- 2 cups mixed dried fruit
- ½ cup dried apricots, chopped
- ½ cup mixed nuts or almonds, roughly chopped
- grated rind of one mandarin or orange
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine everything together and mix well.
- Place mixture in a greased tin, such as a fluted (or regular) bundt pan.
- Bake at 400 °F for about half an hour until firm and cooked through.
- When a skewer comes out clean, the cake is cooked.
- Allow to cool in the tin.
- The rice should be well drained after cooking in water, and left in the refrigerator for at least a few hours before baking the cake.
- ↑ demerara sugar is raw brown sugar, originally from Demerara in Guyana. Although Australia grows endless acres of sugar cane, demerara sugar is considered so good that Australia imports it. Some people like it in their coffee. Demerara adds a sort of toffee-ish taste to the cake. If you don't have demerara, don't worry - the cake will still be delicious with brown sugar.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.