Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Yields: 12 muffins
So many good things to say about these muffins. For some reason, the currant's tartness makes the muffins taste that more fresh! And the meringue topping? A bit of heaven in your mouth!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups fresh red currants
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅜ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
Meringue topping Edit
- Grease muffin cups and place in the freezer until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 360°F.
- In a mixing bowl add flour, baking powder, baking soda and currants; mix and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the egg slightly. Add sugar, vegetable oil and buttermilk and mix thoroughly.
- Add flour-currant mixture to second bowl and stir just until combined. Batter should be sticky.
- Divide batter equally among the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tops of muffins are golden brown (toothpick test: toothpick should come out clean)
- While muffins are in the oven (or cooling), prepare the meringue topping. Beat egg whites and salt with a mixer on high speed until foamy and soft peaks are formed. Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until meringue is stiff. At last fold in the currants carefully.
- When muffins are done, remove from oven. Spread the meringue topping on each muffin. Place muffins back into oven and let the meringue topping dry out for about 5 - 10 minutes. The meringue topping should be white or only slightly brown.
- Remove muffins from oven and let cool down in muffin cups for 5 - 10 minutes. Remove the muffins from the cups and serve warm or allow them to cool completely.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.