Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 10-12 servings
Red currants are a summer favorite! Too bad they're not in season year-round; this delicious treat goes great with a cold glass of milk!
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup red currants
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 lemon, complete with lemon rind
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 large apple, grated
- 1 slice of bread, crumbled
- Note: prior to grating butter (or margarine), freeze for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, and butter.
- Add iced water and continue mixing until a thick dough is formed.
- Wrap dough in a soft cloth and allow to chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hr.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large saucepan, bring currants, lemon rind, apple, butter and sugar to a boil.
- Allow to boil for no more than 15 minutes, then simmer.
- Set aside to cool.
- Remove half of the chilled pastry dough and roll out on a baking sheet.
- Dough should be rolled out thinly.
- Take cool currant filling and spread evenly across the dough.
- Use the remaining dough to cover the currant filling.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden in color.
- Dust with sugar before cutting into squares.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.