Preparation Time: < 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 - 30 minutes
Beef can be a part of a healthy diet as long as you choose the quality of beef carefully. This recipe utilizes 93% lean, 7% fat supreme ground beef. The dish itself is reminiscent of Tex-Mex dishes and can be tweaked to be as hot as you need it to be. Inexpensive ingredients and ridiculously easy preparation make this a real pleaser. It can be easily doubled or tripled to feed many people. Serve with sturdy tortilla chips for scooping...although you can certainly use forks, too.
- 1 lb. supreme lean ground beef (93/7 blend) OR 1 lb. lean ground turkey breast (93/7 blend)
- 2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1 (15 oz.) can no salt added kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup sliced scallions
- 1/2 cup salsa (use any heat level you want, but make sure it's the thick and chunky style), or more to taste
- 16 oz. no salt added tomato sauce
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground coarse black pepper
Cook the noodles in boiling, salted water according to the package directions. Drain, but do not rinse, the noodles.
In a large skillet, brown the beef thoroughly and drain off all the fat. Add the corn, tomato sauce, salsa, scallions, seasonings and water. Lastly, add the cooked egg noodles. Mix well to combine and let everything simmer over low heat until the noodles are heated thoroughly. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper, if desired. You probably won't have to add more cumin unless you really want a pronounced cumin flavor, like in taco seasoning.
Serve immediately with tortilla chips. Accompanying beverages may include lemonade, iced tea or, preferably, frosty beers.