Jack Monroe rinses the tomato sauce off baked beans and makes fancy dishes with them as this is cheaper than tinned haricot beans (navy beans in American English).   I haven't tried it (yet?) as my cooking style is to soak up a large amount of dried pulses and cook them. Then I either eat them over several days  or more often I freeze the surplus perhaps leaving some over for a cold salad on the second day. I guess baked beans still have a bit of a tomato taste even after the sauce is rinsed off making them good in many recipes.
Most tinned baked beans are vegetarian but vegetarians should check as a few have meat sausages.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Baked beans and vegetables This has no added salt, the salt in the tin is enough.
References[edit | edit source]
- It's best to check the salt content as one tin of baked beans typically has a thrid to half the total amount of salt you should eat in a day.
- Mixed Bean GoulashI'm sure this tastes great, I haven't tried it yet.
- Mumma Jacks Best Ever Chilli I'm also sure this tastes great, I haven't tried it yet.
- If you leave anything over after more than 3 days boil it thoroughly before eating.